Volunteers will clean, paint and spruce up the landscaping at six Fort Wayne Community Schools buildings Thursday, July 19, as part of a special Day of Caring sponsored by United Way of Allen County.
Employees from four local businesses will spend the day getting the schools in shape for the new school year, which begins Tuesday, Aug. 14.
The 26th annual United Way of Allen County Day of Caring will take place Wednesday, Aug. 22. Because school will be in session then, FWCS and United Way partnered with local businesses to create a special summer Day of Caring to focus on school buildings. This is the third year for this partnership. FWCS buildings have been included in Day of Caring for 11 years.
The friendships formed on Day of Caring often turn into long-term partnerships between the businesses and the schools, with employees returning to volunteer or help the schools in other ways throughout the school year.
“We are fortunate to be in a community that actively supports its public schools,” FWCS Superintendent Dr. Wendy Robinson said. “That support comes in a variety of ways throughout the year, but one of the most visible is Day of Caring. We appreciate that volunteers would give a day to give our schools a makeover before the start of the school year.”
Below are the Day of Caring sites and the teams working at the sites on Thursday:
- Lincoln Elementary, 1001 E. Cook Road – Hylant Group
- Northcrest Elementary, 5301 Archwood Lane – Fort Wayne Community Schools
- Shawnee Middle School, 1000 E. Cook Road – Hylant Group
- South Side High School, 3601 S. Calhoun St. – Wells Fargo
- Study Elementary, 2414 Brooklyn Ave. – NIPSCO
- Helen P. Brown Natatorium, 3301 S. Calhoun St. – Wells Fargo