The Kickstart Festival Planning Committee is pleased to present Kickstart Festival 2018 in the month of May in Fort Wayne. The Kickstart Festival is a month-long celebration of bikes, music, art and theatre, ushering in a summer filled with activity in our community.
Kickstart Festival 2018 is presented by Parkview Health and participating organizations, including the City of Fort Wayne, Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation, Parkview Trauma Center, Fort4Fitness, Fort Wayne Trails, Arts United, Visit Fort Wayne, Fort Wayne Youtheatre, Bicycle Friendly Fort Wayne, YLNI Farmers Market, Ronald McDonald House Charities and more.
Most of the events presented through the Kickstart Festival are either free or carry a modest ticket or registration price. The events are listed on the Kickstart Festival Calendar at the Kickstart Festival Website, www.kickstartfortwayne.com.
Kickstart began in 2014 as a one-day event held in conjunction with the unveiling of IPFW’s “Sculptures with a Purpose” bike rack sculptures in honor of the University’s 50th anniversary. In 2015, the Kickstart Festival became a month-long celebration of the bicycle and arts, marking the end of winter and the beginning of a summer filled with exciting events and activities throughout our community. Kickstart Festival 2018 marks the fifth year for the bicycle-centric celebration.
Here a few highlights:
- On May 1, the City of Fort Wayne and Fort Wayne Trails, Inc. will host a grand opening celebration for the summer-long Trek the Trails series at the Barn at Eagle Marsh.
- On May 13, Bicycle Friendly Fort Wayne will present Cyclofemme, a touring ride celebrating and supporting women and cycling, starting from Rockhill Park.
- On May 19, Fort Wayne Youtheatre will host the Fifth Annual Fairy Tale Fest, which will include a costumed bicycle ride, called the Fairy Trails Family Bike Ride, brought to you by the Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation Department and Operation Fight for a Fitter Fort.
- Also on May 19, the Seventh Annual Fort4Fitness Spring Cycle tour will begin on Main Street on the Arts United campus and will include a post-race celebration with food, drink and live entertainment at the Headwaters Park Pavilion.
- On June 2, Le Tour de Fort will again take to the streets of Fort Wayne for the 10th annual tour of Fort Wayne’s finest establishments beginning at the Deer Park Irish Pub, all to support services for disabled veterans.
There are many more events described on the Kickstart Fort Wayne website, www.kickstartfortwayne.com.
“Kickstart is an excellent opportunity for residents and visitors to enjoy all of the quality of life amenities that Fort Wayne has to offer,” said Mayor Tom Henry. “We work each day to be a point of destination community that’s attractive to businesses, individuals and families, and the Kickstart initiative helps us promote the positive momentum and energy we’re experiencing in Fort Wayne.”
“The Kickstart Festival provides a great opportunity for area residents to take part in events aimed at improving their health and well-being,” said Mike Packnett, President and CEO of Parkview Health. “We’re proud to support the festival and encourage area residents to participate in the many bicycle-related activities available throughout the month of May and to continue that commitment to physical activity and wellness throughout the year.”
Kickstart Festival 2018 in May in Fort Wayne is an ongoing collaboration between government, medical, health and fitness, and arts organizations to provide a month-long bicycle-centric celebration of our active and healthy community, a testament to our community’s physical and cultural fitness.