Fort Wayne & NE Indiana News

The latest positive news written by residents and organizations in our community.

Brightpoint Engery Assistance Program Resumes

Brightpoint’s winter Energy Assistance Program has resumed for eligible households in Allen, DeKalb, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, and Whitley counties. The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps pay a portion of a household’s heating bills during the winter months. Last year, Brightpoint helped nearly 9,600 families with their utility bills. This year, help is available for renters whose utilities are included their rent, as well as renters and homeowners paying for their utilities separately. Eligible households receive the EAP benefit one time per heating season. The program runs from November 1, 2017 through May 18, 2018.

For households who have received a disconnect notice or whose utilities are already disconnected, an appointment can be made by calling Brightpoint’s dedicated appointment line 24 hours a day at 1-800-589-2264 or United Way’s 2-1-1. Those who are not currently up for disconnect should complete a paper application and submit it for processing. Applications can be obtained in person at any of Brightpoint’s office in the EAP service area or online at

To be eligible, applicants must meet the following income levels:

  • One-person household – No more than $1,508 monthly.
  • Two-person household – No more than $2,030 monthly.
  • Three-person household – No more than $2,553 monthly.
  • Four-person household – No more than $3,075 monthly.
  • Add $523 for each additional family member.

The following documentation is required and must be brought with applicants at the time of their appointment or submitted with the application:

  • A State-issued photo ID for the applicant. Photo IDs are not required for other household members.
  • The completed application with all questions answered and the last page signed and dated.
  • Copies of Social security cards for all members one year or older.
  • A copy of proof of income received in the last 3 full calendar months for each household member.
  • If you paid child support, please send proof of child support payments.
  • A copy of your last heating bill and your last electric bill.
  • If you are a homeowner, a copy of your property taxes, mortgage statement, homeowner insurance or deed.
  • If you rent, a copy of your lease or Landlord Affidavit.
  • Households claiming Veteran status must provide a DD-214 or Veteran’s Administration Identification card.