Bishop Luers High School French Club has been busy preparing for a service trip to Haiti. For the first time ever, students from Bishop Luers will be making a service trip to Haiti. Luers students will be in Haiti from July 27-Aug 5 working in an orphanage, serving at a school for homeless children, and doing a construction project. They will also be trekking to a remote village to deliver much-needed supplies. The students are very excited about this opportunity to witness to God’s Love for all of His people through our service to those who need it the most.
The French Club has been very busy all summer preparing for this trip. In addition to attending a weekly orientation class, where we are learning about the history and culture of Haiti, as well as about the earthquake and the impact of poverty on the Haitian people. We have been fundraising to support the projects we are planning to do in Haiti. The trip cost is $1,600 and each student has paid this fee or raised the money for him or herself. In addition, each student has contributed $100 to our project funds account. Finally, we have collected cans, held a car wash, and had a garage sale to raise money for these projects.
Bishop Luers students hope to witness to God’s love for all of His people through the following project goals:
1. Purchase/install an institutional grade playground at a school that serves 280 children.
2. Help supply school supplies to two schools that we will visit. (a computer or laptop and a printer as well as books and other typical school supplies.)
3. We will spend several days siding plywood houses which were built after the earthquake.
4. Support a program that gives a pair of breeding goats to needy families so that they can supply milk and meat for their family, and have a source of income.
5. Pack and deliver hygiene kits, medical supplies, and school supplies to distribute to the children and their families.
6. Meet some of the needs of an orphanage for groceries and medical supplies.
7. Any leftover funds will be used to sponsor tuition for orphans and homeless children to attend school
You can follow along with their service and see how Bishop Luers students are touching lives by following their blog at: http://blhshaiti2015.blogspot.com/.