Fort Wayne TinCaps (8-5, 40-41) vs. South Bend Cubs (7-6, 36-44)
RHP Ernesto Montas (7-5, 3.33) vs. RHP Erick Leal (6-5, 5.27)
Wednesday, July 8, 2015 — Parkview Field — First Pitch 7:05 p.m. — Game 82
ABOUT LAST GAME: Fort Wayne was foiled at South Bend, 2-1. The TinCaps took a 1-0 lead in the second on an Edwin Moreno RBI single and stayed in front until the seventh. Starter Chris Huffman allowed only two baserunners through the first six innings, but gave up a leadoff single to Jason Vosler and then a two-run homer to Yasiel Balaguert. Zach Hedges threw eight innings to get the win.
HOME-FIELD ADVANTAGE: The TinCaps are 6-0-1 at Parkview Field over their last seven series here. Fort Wayne’s record is 15-5 during the run that goes back to May 26.
GETT-ING HOT: Center fielder Michael Gettys is on a season-best seven-game hitting streak. He extended it Tuesday with two singles. During the stretch, Gettys is 12-for-30 (.400) with five doubles. His 22 doubles on the year are tied for third most in the MWL. (Gettys’ teammate Nick Torres is tied with Lansing’s Ryan McBroom for the league lead with 27.)
PITCHING WINS: Well, most of the time, if not on Tuesday night. The TinCaps are 12-5 over their last 17 games. In that span, they’ve allowed more than three runs in a game only three times. In 157 2/3 innings of work since June 18, Fort Wayne has yielded just 35 earned runs. That equates to a 2.00 ERA.
AGE IS BUT A NUMBER: The three youngest players in the Midwest League are at Parkview Field tonight. South Bend’s Gleyber Torres, an 18-year-old from Venezuela(born Dec. 13, 1996) began the year as the league’s youngest until Ruddy Giron (Jan. 4, 1997) joined the TinCaps in May. Luis Urias (June 3, 1997) now has the distinction since his arrival in Fort Wayne on Monday.
THE OTHER GUYS: South Bend’s roster features the following Chicago Cubs prospects, per MLB.com: No. 4 SS Gleyber Torres, No. 10 RHP Jake Stinnett, and No. 26 RHP Trevor Clifton.
TONIGHT’S STARTING LINEUP:
1. #1 Michael Gettys CF — Had a 12-game hitting streak last July 21-August 6.
2. #9 Luis Urias 2B — Making his Parkview Field debut after being called up Mon.
3. #12 Ruddy Giron SS — Says he’s not a power hitter, just looks to hit line drives.
4. #10 Nick Torres RF — 13th game this year cleaning up. (Has hit 3rd 56 times.)
5. #16 Trae Santos 1B* — Has walked in 12.7% of PA (9th highest in MWL).
6. #34 Franmil Reyes DH — Turned 20 yesterday.
7. #15 Edwin Moreno LF* — Drove in Fort Wayne’s lone run on Tuesday at SB.
8. #21 Jose Ruiz — Featured in article in Wednesday’s The Journal Gazette.
9. #3 Mitch Morales 3B* — Parents (Clare & Alex) here to see him as pro for 1st time.
* Left-Handed Batter