Fort Wayne TinCaps (10-5, 42-41) vs. Great Lakes Loons (5-10, 43-40)
RHP Dinelson Lamet (3-4, 3.95) vs. RHP Matt Shelton (1-0, 4.70)
Friday, July 10, 2015 — Parkview Field — First Pitch 7:05 p.m. — Game 84
ABOUT LAST GAME: The TinCaps beat South Bend for a second night in a row at Parkview Field, 6-2. Fort Wayne jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first when Nick Torres drew a bases-loaded walk. An unearned run followed by a Torres RBI single in the third made it 3-0. Later in that inning, Jose Ruiz contributed an RBI single. After the Cubs scored twice in the fifth, the TinCaps answered with two more runs of their own to go back up by four. Aaron Cressley earned the win out of the bullpen with 2 1/3 perfect innings.
ROSTER MOVES: The Padres today promoted TinCaps outfielder Nick Torres to San Diego’s Advanced-A affiliate, the Lake Elsinore Storm. Also, Fort Wayne infielder Mitch Morales was transferred back to the Short-Season A Tri-City Dust Devils. In turn, the Padres sent outfielder Henry Charles and infielder Rey Bruguera to the TinCaps. See Page 3 for more information.
A NOTE ON NICK: All-Star Nick Torres had been one of the top hitters in the Midwest League this season. Here are some of his numbers and where they ranked in the league: .29 2B (1st), 326 AVG (T-2nd), 133 TB (3rd), 94 H (5th), .462 SLG (10th). He was also the TinCaps’ leader in RBIs (40) and OBP (.378).
BULLPEN BRILLIANCE: Aaron Cressley and Seth Lucio teamed up for 4 1/3 scoreless frames out of the pen Thursday. Here’s a look at how dominant the Fort Wayne bullpen has been of late.
* Kyle McGrath: 8 straight scoreless app. since 6/10, 15.2 IP
* Yimmi Brasoban: 12 straight scoreless app. since 6/21, 22.1 IP
* Colby Blueberg: 3 straight scoreless app. since 6/29, 7.0 IP
* Taylor Cox: 3 straight scoreless app. since 5/28, 4.1 IP
* Seth Lucio: 2 straight scoreless app. Since July 6, 3.0 IP
The bullpen’s ERA for the season currently stands at 3.26. Entering May 21, when the TinCaps had a 12-25 record, the bullpen ERA was 4.65. Fort Wayne is 30-16 since that time.
HOME-FIELD ADVANTAGE: The TinCaps are 7-0-1 at Parkview Field over their last eight series here. Fort Wayne’s record is 17-5 during the run that goes back to May 26 against Great Lakes.
PITCHING WINS: The TinCaps are 14-5 over their last 19 games. In that span, they’ve allowed more than three runs in a game only three times. In 175 2/3 innings of work since June 18, Fort Wayne has yielded just 38 earned runs. That equates to a 1.95 ERA.
TONIGHT’S STARTING LINEUP:
1. # 12 Ruddy Giron SS — Leading off for 2nd straight night; hit 3rd on 7/7 & 7/8
2. #9 Luis Urias 2B — AZL Padres co-leader in batting average (.310) in 2014
3. #1 Michael Gettys DH — Is the TinCaps leader in 2Bs (22) and XBHs (30)
4. #16 Trae Santos 1B* — Laced a double, reached base 3x on Thursday v. SB
5. #34 Franmil Reyes RF — 4 of his 5 home runs this year have come against RHPs
6. #22 Franchy Cordero LF* — Stole his team-leading 15th base of the year on Thursday v. SB
7. #25 Luis Tejada 3B — Singled off of Loons SP Matt Shelton on 6/25
8. #18 Edwin Moreno CF* — Is 8-16 at the plate his last five games
9. #21 Jose Ruiz C — Has 6 RBIs in July; no more than 4 RBIs in any other month
* Left-Handed Batter