Fort Wayne TinCaps (7-4, 39-40) vs. South Bend Cubs (6-5, 35-43)
RHP Michael Kelly (4-1, 3.50) vs. RHP Trevor Clifton (3-6, 4.33)
Monday, July 6, 2015 — Four Winds Field (South Bend, Ind.) — First Pitch 7:05 p.m. — Game 80
ABOUT LAST GAME: The TinCaps defeated Dayton, 5-2, at Parkview Field on Sunday. After being shut out on Saturday, Fort Wayne scored twice in the bottom of the first inning. The Dragons tied the game with two in the top of the second, but the TinCaps regained the lead in the third on a Trae Santos run-scoring single. Fort Wayne added insurance with a run in each the seventh and eighth. Dinelson Lamet earned the win with five innings of work. Kyle McGrath threw three scoreless out of the pen and Yimmi Brasoban saved it.
PITCHING WINS: The TinCaps are 11-4 over their last 15 games. In that time, they’ve allowed more than three runs in a game only twice. In 137 2/3 innings of work since June 18, Fort Wayne has yielded just 27 earned runs. That equates to a 1.77 ERA.
GETT-ING HOT: Center fielder Michael Gettys was 3-for-4 Sunday with an RBI, three runs scored, and a stolen base. The 19-year-old has hit safely in five consecutive games (9-for-20 with four doubles).
ROSTER MOVE: The Padres sent TinCaps infielder Felipe Blanco up to Advanced-A Lake Elsinore today. He fills a spot for the Storm after 2014 TinCap River Stevens was placed on the disabled list. To replace Blanco, San Diego has transferred infielder Luis Urias to Fort Wayne from Short-Season A Tri-City, where he hit .355 in 10 games.
YOUTH MOVEMENT: Urias, who’s from Mexico, just turned 18 on June 3. Manager Francisco Morales has Urias penciled in to start at second base tonight next to 18-year-old shortstop Ruddy Giron. They are the two youngest players currently in the Midwest League.
U-S-A: Three former TinCaps are playing for USA Baseball in the Americas Baseball Festival, which began today in Cary, N.C. Starting pitcher Zach Eflin ‘13 (Double-A Reading, Phillies), outfielder Travis Jankowski ‘12 (Double-A San Antonio, Padres), and infielder Andy Parrino ‘08-09 (Triple-A Nashville, A’s) are all on the squad which will next compete in the Pan American games from July 10-19 in Toronto.
TONIGHT’S STARTING LINEUP:
1. #12 Ruddy Giron SS — Had Sunday off. Was youngest player in MWL till today.
2. #1 Michael Gettys CF — Ranks 2nd in MWL w/ 12 OF assists, including 1 Sun.
3. #10 Nick Torres DH — Leads MWL with 27 doubles, 2nd in AVG (.327).
4. #16 Trae Santos 1B* — Tied for 8th in MWL w/ 18 doubles, 10th in BB (38).
5. #34 Franmil Reyes RF — Had two hits Sunday, including a 2-out RBI single.
6. #22 Franchy Cordero LF* —Hitting .255 on road (.220 at home).
7. #9 Luis Urias 2B — Just called up today from Short-Season A Tri-City.
8. #25 Luis Tejada 3B — Hitting .333 on road (.172 at home).
9. #21 Jose Ruiz C — Has caught 32 runners stealing — most in the MWL.
* Left-Handed Batter