The Kickstart Festival Planning Committee is pleased to present Kickstart Festival 2017 in May in Fort Wayne. The Kickstart Festival is a month-long celebration of bikes, music, art and theatre, ushering in a summer filled with activity in our community. Responding to an increasing interest and demand for events related to biking, this year the Kickstart Festival has added even more to the array of fun, including the Ride Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Tour, Le Tour de Fort, the Fort Wayne Music Festival and a special presentation of the bicycle movie classic, Pee‑Wee’s Big Adventure.
Kickstart Festival 2017 is presented by Parkview Health and participating organizations include the City of Fort Wayne, Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation, Parkview Trauma Center, Parkview Sports Medicine, Fort4Fitness, Turnstone, Fort Wayne Trails, Arts United, Visit Fort Wayne, Fort Wayne Youtheatre, Bicycle Friendly Fort Wayne, YLNI Farmers Market, Ronald McDonald House Charities, the Cinema Center and more.
Most of the events presented through the Kickstart Festival are either free or carry a modest ticket or registration price. The events are listed on the Kickstart Festival Calendar attached and are described in more detail at the Kickstart Festival Website, www.kickstartfortwayne.com.
Kickstart began in 2014 as a one-day event held in conjunction with the unveiling of IPFW’s “Sculptures with a Purpose” bike rack sculptures in honor of the University’s 50th anniversary. In 2015, the Kickstart Festival became a month-long celebration of the bicycle and arts, marking the end of winter and the beginning of a summer filled with exciting events and activities throughout our community. Kickstart Festival 2017 marks the fourth year for the bicycle-centric celebration.
Here a few highlights:
- On April 30, Ronald McDonald House Charities presents the Ride RMHC Bicycle Touring event.
- On May 2, the City of Fort Wayne and Fort Wayne Trails, Inc. will host a grand opening celebration for the summer-long Trek the Trails series at Salomon Farms Park.
- On May 5, the Plassman Athletic Center at Turnstone will host the Second Annual Bikefusion, the one and only bicycle show and exhibition in the region. The event will feature several local bike shops showing their wares, a bicycle art show and many new and returning local health and fitness exhibitors. Attendees have a unique opportunity to test ride bikes on the Plassman Athletic Center track, as well as sample great food and craft beers.
- On May 13, Fort Wayne Youtheatre will host the Fourth Annual Fairy Tale Fest, which will include a costumed bicycle ride, called the Fairy Trails Family Bike Ride, brought to you by the Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation Department and Operation Fight for a Fitter Fort.
- On May 20, the Sixth Annual Fort4Fitness Spring Cycle tour will begin on Main Street on the Arts United campus and will include a post-race celebration with food, drink and live entertainment at the Headwaters Park Pavilion.
- On June 3, Le Tour de Fort will again take to the streets of Fort Wayne.
There are many, many more events described on the Kickstart Fort Wayne website, www.kickstartfortwayne.org.
“I continue to be encouraged by the momentum and investments we’re experiencing in the City of Fort Wayne,” said Mayor Tom Henry. “We’ve become a point of destination city as a great place to live, work and play. Kickstart is the type of initiative that showcases the tremendous amenities and activities we have to offer in our community.”
“The Kickstart Festival provides a great opportunity for area residents to take part in events aimed at improving their health and well-being,” said Mike Packnett, President and CEO of Parkview Health. “We’re proud to support the festival and encourage area residents to participate in the many bicycle-related activities available throughout the month of May and to continue that commitment to physical activity and wellness throughout the year.”
Kickstart Festival 2017 in May in Fort Wayne is an ongoing collaboration between government, medical, health and fitness, and arts organizations to provide a month-long bicycle-centric celebration of our active and healthy community, a testament to our community’s physical and cultural fitness.