Fort Wayne TinCaps (9-7) @ South Bend (9-6)
RHP J.C. Cosme (2-0, 2.08) vs. RHP Adbert Alzolay (0-0, 4.76)
Saturday, April 23, 2016 — Four Winds Field — First Pitch 7:05 p.m. — Game 17
ABOUT LAST NIGHT: Fort Wayne lost at South Bend, 7-6, in 10 innings. The Cubs walked off in the 10th as a Matt Rose grounder scored Donnie Dewees from third base with one out.
ROSTER MOVE: The Padres have placed shortstop Ruddy Giron on Fort Wayne’s disabled list (strained groin) retroactive to Thursday, April 21. San Diego has added 3B Carlos Belen (Buh-LEN) to the TinCaps roster from Extended Spring Training. (See Page 4 for more on Belen.)
WINNING BIG, LOSING CLOSE: Friday was the 3rd time this season the TinCaps have lost in walk-off fashion. Fort Wayne has lost 5 games by 1 run, another by 2, and only 1 by 3+. In contrast, their 9 wins have been by an average of 6.2 runs.
BEST IN THE MIDWEST, AND BEYOND: The TinCaps enter the night leading the MWL in all offensive categories below, and rank among the best in all of Single-A, Double-A, and Triple-A (120 teams), as well…
– Runs: 104 (1st in MiLB; Advanced-A Lynchburg is next with 96)
– RBIs: 88 (1st in MiLB; Class A Greenville is next with 86)
– Hits: 150 (Tied for 8th in MiLB)
– Doubles: 33 (Tied with Peoria for 8th in MiLB)
– Total Bases: 222 (Tied for 12th in MiLB)
– On-Base Plus Slugging: .742 (Tied for 15th in MiLB)
– Slugging Percentage: .398 (20th in MiLB)
– Home Runs: 9
MWL PLAYER OF THE WEEK: The first offensive Midwest League Player of the Week in 2016 is TinCaps catcher Austin Allen, who’s 24-for-46 at the plate with 6 walks to begin the season. Here’s a look at how his numbers stack up with all hitters in Minor League Baseball…
– Batting Average: .520 (1st in MiLB)
– On-Base Percentage: .569 (2nd in MiLB)
– Hits: 26 (Tied for 2nd in MiLB)
– On-Base Plus Slugging: 1.249 (3rd in MiLB)
ALSO AT THE TOP: Outfielder Luis Tejada leads the MWL with 16 RBIs (tied for 5th most in MiLB) and 7 doubles (tied for 4th in MiLB).
– Outfielder Michael Gettys leads the MWL with 11 stolen bases (4th most in MiLB). He’s 2nd in the league with 15 runs (tied for 7th in MiLB). Gettys and infielder Ty France have been hit by 4 pitches, which is tied for the MWL lead (tied for 4th in MiLB).