Fort Wayne TinCaps (12-7, 44-43) vs. Lake County Captains (6-12, 42-44)
LHP Thomas Dorminy (6-6, 4.18) vs. LHP Justus Sheffield (7-2, 4.23)
Wednesday, July 15, 2015 — Parkview Field — First Pitch 7:05 p.m. — Game 88
ABOUT LAST GAME: With a tornado watch in effect towards the end of the game, the TinCaps picked the perfect night for a 2-0 shutout win over the Great Lakes Loons at Parkview Field on Monday. Moments after the 2 hour, 24-minute game ended, pouring rain began to fall. Starting pitcher Ernesto Montas worked the first five-plus before leaving with the bases loaded and no one out in the sixth. Seth Lucio came in and worked his way out of the bind unscathed. Lucio pitched the seventh as well before Yimmi Brasoban and Colby Blueberg finished off the eighth and ninth. The TinCaps scored a run in each of the first two innings that proved to be enough.
FIRST PLACE: The TinCaps begin the night with a 1/2-game lead over West Michigan for first place in the Eastern Division second half standings. Remember, Lansing won the first half title with Great Lakes claiming the wild card, so Fort Wayne is one of six teams vying for two spots in half number two, which ends on Labor Day.
FEDEROWICZ UPDATE: Padres catcher Tim Federowicz (pronounced: Fed-er-oh-vich) caught the first five innings Monday. It was his first time behind the plate in a game since Spring Training. He tore the meniscus in his right knee and had surgery in March. FedX is scheduled to remain with the TinCaps through Friday.
SHUTOUT COUNT: Monday was Fort Wayne’s fifth shutout win of the season. Three have occurred in the second half and all five have come since May 31.
PITCHING WINS: The TinCaps are 16-7 over their last 23 games. Over the span they’ve allowed more than three runs in a game only five times. In 211 2/3 innings of work since June 18, Fort Wayne has yielded 58 earned runs. That equates to a 2.47 ERA.
HOT AT HOME: The TinCaps are 7-0-2 at Parkview Field over their last eight series here. Fort Wayne’s record is 19-7 during the run that goes back to May 26 against Great Lakes.
TONIGHT’S STARTING LINEUP:
1. #12 Ruddy Giron SS — Went 6-for-6 in MWL debut at LC on May 18.
2. #9 Luis Urias 2B — Has hit safely in 7 of 8 games; multi-hits in 5 (4 straight).
3. #33 Tim Federowicz DH — Padres catcher in third game of rehab stint.
4. #34 Franmil Reyes RF — 2-for-4 vs. Sheffield (only TinCap w/ multiple hits).
5. #1 Michael Gettys CF — Has drawn 8 BB in 2nd half after only 6 in 1st half.
6. #22 Franchy Cordero LF* — Featured in story in today’s Journal Gazette.
7. #25 Luis Tejada 1B — 2nd start of year at 1B (primary position last 2 years).
8. #21 Jose Ruiz C — Leads MWL catchers w/ 33 runners caught stealing.
9. #20 Rey Bruguera 3B —This season has played 2 G at 3B w/ Lake Elsinore.
* Left-Handed Batter