Fort Wayne & NE Indiana News

The latest positive news written by residents and organizations in our community.
Family   |   Government

Fort Wayne Fire Department Promotes Safe, Responsible Fireworks Use

The American traditions of parades, cookouts, and fireworks help us celebrate the summer season, especially our nation’s birthday on the 4th of July. However, fireworks can turn a joyful celebration into a painful memory when children and adults are injured while using fireworks.

Did you know sparklers can reach 1,800 Degrees Fahrenheit – hot enough to melt gold? The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Fireworks Injury Report estimates that in 2013 approximately 11,400 people were treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries associated with fireworks. More than half of the injuries were burns, and most of the injuries involved the head (including face, eyes and ears) hands, fingers and legs. Children and young adults under the age of 15 accounted for more than 40 percent of the estimated injuries. Research also found that 1 in 4 children with fireworks related injuries were bystanders in backyard displays.

Safety is always the key to any activity and this includes fireworks. For your safety as well as that of your loved ones, neighbours and the community, the Fort Wayne Fire Department suggests you enjoy your fireworks at a professional event. If you do purchase fireworks for private use, the FWFD encourages you to use them responsibly and take the necessary safety precautions.

Never let children handle, play with, or light any fireworks.
Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
While setting off fireworks wear eye protection and never hold fireworks in your hand to light.
Eye protection should be worn at all times.
Use in a clear, open area. Keep the audience a safe distance away from the shooting site.
Do not alter any fireworks device or make your own fireworks.
Light only one firework at a time.
Never attempt to re-light, alter, or fix any "dud" firework item.
Have a fire extinguisher, water supply, hose, or bucket of water nearby.
Please remember to be considerate of pets, as fireworks can cause them a great deal of stress.