Fort Wayne TinCaps (28-36) @ West Michigan Whitecaps (32-33)
RHP Chris Huffman (2-3, 3.34) vs. RHP Artie Lewicki (0-1, 5.79)
Thursday, June 18, 2015 — Fifth Third Ballpark (Comstock Park, MI) — First Pitch 7:00 p.m. — Game 65
ABOUT LAST GAME: Fort Wayne fell behind early for a second straight night against West Michigan and was beaten, 5-2. Seven different hitters recorded a base hit, including two from Luis Tejada, who was making his 2015 TinCaps debut.
DANDY DEBUT: Luis Tejada hadn’t played in a game since July 27th, 2014 when he suffered an arm injury that cut his season short. He notched two hits on Wednesday including an RBI double in the fifth inning.
ALL-STAR HISTORY: On the heels of Tejada’s multi-hit night at Fifth Third Ballpark, Thursday is also the two-year anniversary of his Midwest League All-Star game debut. On June 18, 2013, Tejada and three other TinCaps were represented in Dayton, Ohio. In addition to the first baseman, catcher Dane Phillips, and pitchers Joe Ross and Roman Madrid also made the Eastern Division’s squad. The East won that year in walk-off fashion. This season, Fort Wayne sends outfielder Nick Torres and pitcher Thomas Dorminy to the All-Star Classic in Peoria, Illinois, this upcoming Tuesday.
MAKE IT A DOUBLE: Nick Torres whacked his Midwest League-leading 22nd double of the season on Wednesday night against the Whitecaps. He’s on a torrid surge heading into the All-Star break. Over the last two weeks (his last 12 games), the outfielder is hitting .395 with seven doubles and 10 RBIs. He’s also hit safely in six straight games. His season-high hit streak of 12 games (from April 30-May 12) is tops on the team.
WORLD SERIES DREAMIN’: Most players dream of playing in a World Series when they are younger. The TinCaps and Whitecaps are the Midwest League affiliates of the Padres and Tigers respectively, the two teams that met in the 1984 fall classic. Detroit won in five games and shortstop Alan Trammell was named the series MVP. Trammell — now a member of the Tigers front office — was at Fifth Third Ballpark on Wednesday evening.
Today’s Starting Lineup
1. #12 Ruddy Giron SS — Batting a team-leading .373
2. #10 Nick Torres LF — Hasn’t recorded a single error in the outfield this season
3. #16 Trae Santos 1B — Recorded a single on Wednesday @ West Michigan
4. #34 Franmil Reyes RF — Went 1-3 with a walk on Wednesday @ West Michigan
5. #15 Edwin Moreno DH — First start of the series @ West Michigan
6. #1 Michael Gettys CF — 6th rated prospect in the Padres organization
7. #25 Luis Tejada 3B — Tallied two hits, a double and an RBI in ’15 debut on Wednesday
8. #21 Jose Ruiz C — Day off on Wednesday, started Tuesday @ WM
9. #24 Chase Jensen 2B — College: Oklahoma City U; Famous alumni: Virginia Tech Head Basketball Coach Buzz Williams