Fort Wayne TinCaps (28-35) vs. West Michigan Whitecaps (31-33)
LHP Thomas Dorminy (5-4, 4.24) vs. RHP Ross Seaton (5-3, 4.44)
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 — Fifth Third Ballpark (Comstock Park, MI) — First Pitch 7:00 p.m. — Game 64
ABOUT LAST GAME: The TinCaps fell to the West Michigan Whitecaps, 7-1, in the opener of the three-game series. Starter Dinelson Lamet struck out a career-high nine batters and Franchy Cordero and Felipe Blanco had multi-hit nights.
NEW ADDITIONS: Fort Wayne had two new players added to the roster this week. Infielder Luis Tejada and LHP Brad Wieck will make their debuts with the TinCaps this series against the Whitecaps in Comstock Park, Michigan. Tejada was called up from Extended Spring Training and will start at third base on Wednesday. The Dominican Republic native played 46 games with Fort Wayne in 2014 and was the every day first baseman during the 2013 season. His season was cut short in 2014 when he suffered an arm injury in July. Wieck will start his first game for any Padres-affiliated team on Thursday. He was traded along with reliever Alex Torres from the New York Mets to San Diego in April. Wieck appeared in 16 games for the Mets’ short-season affiliate in Brooklyn in 2014.
DON’T MESS WITH THE PEN: Fort Wayne’s bullpen has been close to untouchable over its last 10 games. During that span, relievers have posted a 1.76 ERA over 30 2/3 innings. TinCaps relief pitchers have yielded just four walks total during the stretch.
RUN MDC: Catcher Miguel Del Castillo starts tonight for Manager Francisco Morales. The native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic has earned more paying time over the last month. He is hitting .385 over his last 15 starts including 6 RBIs. Del Castillo has raised his average 90 points since May 13th (he’s now batting .295 on the season in 26 games).
HEAD TO THE GRANDSTANDS: Tuesday was a rare day for the TinCaps lately without a home run. In 13 games in the month of June, Fort Wayne has nine home runs as a team. Compare that to the month of April when the TinCaps had just six home runs in 18 total games. Trae Santos leads the team with seven dingers.
1. #12 Ruddy Giron SS — Playing his 29th game for Fort Wayne, 28 of those at SS
2. #10 Nick Torres RF — Is 8-17 (.471) at the plate his last five games
3. #16 Trae Santos 1B* — Team leader in walks with 28
4. #34 Franmil Reyes DH — Hit. Coach Lance Burkhart: “Shortened swing reason for recent success”
5. #22 Franchy Cordero LF* — Five multi-hit games over his last 10 starts
6. #1 Michael Gettys CF — From Gainesville, GA, home of West Michigan’s Will Maddox (DL)
7. #25 Luis Tejada 3B — Making his 2015 debut with the TinCaps
8. #23 Miguel Del Castillo C — Hitting .385 over his last 15 games
9. #9 Felipe Blanco 2B — Recorded his 7th multi-hit game of the year on Tuesday
* Left-Handed Batter